Two days in a row my alarm hasn't gone off in the morning. Luckily my internal alarm clock has woken me up around 0700-- a little late but still early enough to make it to work almost on time.
The morning started out kind of cloudy and gray and sure enough the rain moved in quickly. Apparently there was a pretty bad storm last night and it was still thinking about showing its face today.
It was off-and-on rain for most of the morning. The serving line for food was supposed to start at noon. I picked Leslie up about 10:30 and sure enough at noon it was raining. Oh well. We moved all the food inside to our dining facility and everyone crammed in there. I was a little sad because even though I was on the O-Day committee and the plan was for veggie burgers to be on the menu - of course, when I went through the line, they had not made any veggie burgers.
Bring on the one scoop of potato salad and bag of Doritos for my lunch. Ugh.
A couple hours later the rain let up, the sun came out and the humidity skyrocketed! So everyone moved outside to get ready for the games. Our commander's time capsule portion seemed to go well and I even had a lady afterward come up and ask if she could look at one of the items from the 80s because she worked here then. Hopefully we will get the display set up soon and people will contribute more items.
It was fun having Leslie out there. She was a real trooper and won the one and only Sumo wrestling match in the Sumo Suits, then pied her old soccer coach in the face and willingly took a pie to her own face! Way to go Leslie.
I stayed safely with camera-in-hand the entire time and used that as an excuse when people tried to put me in the dunking booth or sell a chance to smack me with a pie. Sometimes that old work excuse comes in handy! "Can't, I'm working!"
Overall, it could have been quite the disaster, but I think it was salvaged enough so that most people who stayed had a good time. I was exhausted by the time I got home though. Never fails that even on those "mandatory fun" days I'll still be working in some capacity. I don't mind though, I'm a little weirdo and enjoy it.
Tomorrow I am working at an organizational fair here in our community and will be helping the commander hand out booklets and stuff about healthcare in Germany.
That's about it for tonight. Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment